Thompson, Kirk C.
Kirk C. Thompson
- Workers' Compensation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Social Security Disability
Kirk C. Thompson has represented the interests of employees, insurers and other parties in Minnesota workers' compensation cases since his admission to practice in 1984. Kirk handles all varieties of compensation cases, including occupational disease claims.
Kirk has edited and published a Minnesota workers' compensation case law update and is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars. He is a trained mediator, and conducts mediations of worker's compensation claims.In the case of Reider v. Anoka-Hennepin School District No. 11, 728 N.W. 2d 246 ( Minn. 2007), Kirk's appeal of unfavorable lower court rulings resulted in the Minnesota Supreme Court's reversal in his client's favor. The Reider decision established the absolute right of a party to a neutral medical exam in workers' compensation cases, overruling prior cases which held that a party's request for a neutral medical exam was left to the discretion of the compensation judge. A neutral medical examination can provide valuable and decisive evidence in workers' compensation claims.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1984
- St Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1979
- Minnesota, 1984
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1985
- Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
- Reider v. Anoka-Hennepin School District No. 11, 728 N.W. 2d 246, 2007, Minn.
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell
Classes & Seminars
- Speaker, Minnesota Legal Education Seminars
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Minneapolis Rights Commissions Mediation Panelist
- Mental Health Connect
- Social Security Disability Law, Counsel Member & Section Secretary)